- Wash and remove the stalks from the leaves. Blanch them in boiling
water for 1 minute to soften the leaves and then leave to cool.
Alternatively use preserved leaves and soak in cold water for 2-3
hours and rinse well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions.
- Add the minced meat and cook over a medium heat, stirring
frequently, until brown.
- Remove from heat and add the rice, mint, parsley, salt and pepper
and lemon juice, stirring well.
- Place a leaf upside down (vein side up) and put 1tbsp of mixture in
the centre. Fold the sides of the leaf in towards the centre and the
fold over to make rectangular parcels.
- Put some oil in the base of the saucepan and line with unused leaves
and tightly arrange the parcels in neat rows using up all the space
then start a new layer.
- Add 3 coffee cups of cold water, Bring to the boil and immediately
lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes then turn heat off.
Leave for approximately 1 hour before serving.
- Serve warm with some yoghourt or cold as a meze.